Online shopping has been one of the greatest advancements of the Internet. The process of searching for your desired product on the Internet, choosing the one you like, paying for it through any secure payment gateway and having it shipped to your home is known as online shopping or e-commerce. There are many e-commerce software solutions available these days, which can be installed on your server, configured, and brought online for the whole world to see. WooCommerce is one of these software solutions which help you run your own online store.
What is WooCommerce?
WooCommerce is a WordPress plugin which has been designed specifically for e-commerce purposes. If you want to know more about WordPress, please read one of our previous articles where we explained the detail about our WordPress Hosting. WooCommerce was launched in 2011 by WooThemes and powers almost 39% of the world-wide online stores these days. WooCommerce was acquired by Automattic in 2015, the same company who owns WordPress, and that by itself proclaims how trusted the software is.
WooCommerce has been so far treated as the best plugin designed for ecommerce purposes in WordPress. WooCommerce is open source and is totally free to use. It has gained a lot of popularity over the years and is used by many companies, both small and large to run their stores. It is very flexible and has a lot of customization options which makes it further more popular and attractive to customers. The main attraction of WooCommerce is that even many websites which may not look like an online store also is using WooCommerce for a store purpose.
WooCommerce is mainly used by people:
- Who require an online store for books, dresses, electronic items or any other goods or products
- Who sells downloadable products like antivirus, software, ebooks
- Who sells services like house keeping, cleaning, laundry services
- Who run music sites
- …and much more
What is WooCommerce Hosting?
A hosting provider who has designed specific hosting packages for WooCommerce store is termed as WooCommerce Hosting. WooCommerce, as we mentioned above, is a WordPress plugin. Hence the WooCommerce WordPress relation is very strong and is inseparable. WooCommerce sites are also WordPress sites as the base installation for both are using WordPress. Perfect WooCommerce Hosting companies will have great features available for hosting WooCommerce websites.
Their servers will be well configured for hosting WooCommerce sites and will have all the latest best practices available for security and redundancy. Most of their plans will come with WooCommerce pre-installed. Managed WordPress hosting companies also will support WooCommerce installation.
Hosting a WooCommerce Store at JavaPipe
We at JavaPipe, also promote WooCommerce Hosting through our various PHP Cloud hosting plans. We do not advertise ourselves as specific WooCommerce host, however, our servers are well tailored for it. Our PHP Cloud Hosting plans are the perfect shared hosting plans for WooCommerce specific sites. While we also provide managed VPS hosting and DDoS protected servers, when it comes to WooCommerce Hosting, our PHP cloud Hosting servers gain importance due to the following features.
- We employ superior hardware on all our shared,VPS hosting and dedicated server plans. Our PHP Cloud Hosting servers reside on a redundant Cloud stack platform backed by superior SSD disks. The reliability of cloud hosting along with the performance boost of SSDisks helps provide the best hosting experience for customers.
- Multiple PHP versions, starting from the older PHP 4 to latest PHP 7, including all major and minor versions are available for use. That said, customers with any old code can migrate their website to us, switch to their desired PHP version and get their website live in minutes.
- The control panel associated with the PHP Cloud Hosting servers is SiteWorx, as against the common cPanel. SiteWorx is gaining a lot of popularity these days and is at par with cPanel in comparison to features and usability.
- The wonder software Softaculous, with more than 350+ software in its bag is available free of cost for cloud hosting customers. This makes 1 click installation of any CMS or third party software possible, without the hassle of going through manual installation steps. This also makes our PHP cloud hosting, the favorite choice for anyone looking for WordPress Hosting, Joomla Hosting etc.
- For increasing website speed, we have implemented the best caching mechanisms at the server level. In addition CloudFlare CDN (Content Delivery Network) is also available for customers if they wish to use it. CDN, in a way, adds to caching and helps to increase the website speed by fetching contents from a server which is geographically nearer to the visitor’s location.
- Server security is given prime importance and all the best security practices are present in all PHP Cloud Hosting servers. DDOS protection is another JavaPipe service which helps prevent attacks. In addition, the presence of LVE isolates hosting accounts and prevents them from accessing files of other accounts.
- Our technical support team includes highly knowledgeable techs who are very customer focused. Our support staff is available 24X7 and can be contacted any time through support tickets. Live chat is also offered as a means to contact sales team.
- Uptime is a major reliability factor for any hosting company. Our support staff and everyone at JavaPipe strives to achieve the high uptime guarantee always.
- Considering the security of WooCommerce store, SSL certificates are provided at free of cost for all PHP Cloud hosting customers. Online stores will have financial transactions taking place online, and the presence of SSL certificates are vital there. Most hosting companies would require you to purchase a dedicated IP for SSL, but JavaPipe lets you install the certificate without a dedicated IP also.
- Daily offsite backups are in place for backing up all customer websites. Whether customers choose it or not, data safety is our responsibility and we store all backups on remote servers. This comes handy whenever a customer requires an old file, or in case of immediate disaster recovery.
Due to all these features, JavaPipe’s PHP Cloud Hosting plans are at par with any decent WooCommerce specific hosting company. We will now see how WooCommerce can be installed on a shared hosting account.
How to Install WooCommerce on JavaPipe’s PHP Cloud Hosting
WooCommerce is a WordPress plugin and therefore, WordPress installation needs to be done prior to WooCommerce installation. Our article on WordPress Hosting explains how WordPress can be installed in a single click on JavaPipe’s PHP Cloud hosting servers through Softaculous.
To proceed with WooCommerce installation, first start by logging in to the admin area of WordPress. Once in the dashboard, go to Plugins -> Add New. WordPress lists a few plugins and you can search for WooCommerce there by typing it in the search box at the right end. Alternatively, you can download the plugin from their official website. Once the plugin is searched or uploaded, click on the ‘Install’ button to install it.
Within seconds, the plugin will be installed and click on the ‘Activate’ button which will be displayed then. It will take you to a page which acts as a configuration wizard which will help you set up the store with ease. You can choose to proceed with it, or go back to the dashboard. The following are the important steps to be configured, if you proceed with the wizard.
Store Locale: Enter the location, currency, and units for measuring product weight and dimensions. Click ‘Continue’.
Shipping & Tax Setup: Choose whether or not you will provide shipping for your products and if tax would be deducted or not.
Now choose the payment methods you allow. Check the ones that are allowed and leave the others untouched.
The installation and configuration are now done – it’s as simple as that! Now you can create your products and start selling.
Everything on WooCommerce store can be managed through your WordPress dashboard itself. This makes it further easier to manage your website and store together.
Advantages of Running a WooCommerce Store
WooCommerce powered websites have grown too large in number that many wonder what makes it so popular. Here are a few advantages of the plugin.
- OpenSource – It is open source and is completely free of cost.
- Flexibility – WooCommerce is a lot more flexible than any other online store, whether it be in the case of categorizing products, selling any type of products, accepting payments or anything. The plugin can also be customized to any extent you desire. Many compatible themes, both free and paid are also available which eases its customization
- WordPress – It is a WordPress plugin, which makes the WordPress WooCommerce bond stronger. You get them together as a package of full fledged website with an online store.
- Excellent Support – Many a time the support teams of plugins are not that responsive. However, WooCommerce is an exception here with real human support available 24X7 across the globe.
Any hosting company who focuses on WooCommerce-powered websites should take extra care while designing them. Security and uptime should be given high importance. So is the case with hardware. SSD disks, good processor, ample RAM, good network etc. should be given preference. As a hosting provider, JavaPipe currently offers WooCommerce Hosting along with shared hosting and its managed VPS plans also support WooCommerce.